Visa News

Work Visa Rules: What to Do If Your Plans Change

If you’re working in NZ on a visa and your plans have suddenly changed, what are the next best steps? Find out how to change your work visa conditions here.

16/11/20213 min read
Work Visa Rules: What to Do If Your Plans Change

When working in any type of job, there is always a risk that your situation may change. If you’re working on a temporary work visa in NZ, it is important that you are prepared for the possibility of such disrupted plans. What do you do if you lose your job unexpectedly, need to change your location, or want to apply for a new job? We have all the work visa solutions you need – find out how to change your work visa conditions below.

Check Your Visa Conditions

If you’re on a work visa in NZ and your situation has changed, the first thing you should always do is check your visa conditions. In some cases, you may be able to change the conditions of your work visa. To check your visa conditions, simply read the visa label inside your passport, check your visa online, or read the official e-visa sent to you by Immigration NZ or a licensed immigration adviser.

Applying for a Variation of Conditions

Do you want to change your job location, employer, or occupation? These days, it’s not uncommon for work visa holders to change jobs. If you want to change the conditions of your visa, you will need to apply for a variation of conditions and the application is approved before you change jobs or employers. The new conditions must meet the original rules set out in your work visa.

Rules for Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa Holders

Immigration NZ requires that Talent Visa holders must work for an accredited employer. However, if your employer no longer holds their accreditation status, you will still be able to continue working for them. If you want to work for a different accredited employer or your job suddenly becomes unavailable, you most likely will need to apply for a variation of conditions to make any changes.

Rules for Essential Skills Work Visa Holders

The rules for Essential Skills Work Visa holders tend to be stricter than other types of work visas. If you want to change your job or employer, you need to apply for a new Work Visa. If the pay rates for the new job is lower than your current job is paying take advice as this can create issues with the next work visa application.

What to do if you Lose Your Job Unexpectedly

Losing a job when on a work visa can be very stressful, especially if your visa states that you must work in a specified job, employer and location. In this circumstance, the conditions of your visa will no longer be valid. However, if you lose your job within a trial period, you may be able to apply for a Dismissed Worker Visitor Visa, which will allow you to stay in NZ as a visitor. To be accepted, you must have a current work visa and enough funds to live on and fly home when required.

Speak to an Immigration Adviser: Contact

Malcolm Pacific Immigration today

The best thing you can do when your work plans are disrupted is talk to a licensed immigration adviser. Malcolm Pacific Immigration has a large team of immigration advisers in NZ who are trained and qualified to deal with complex visa situations like these. We will advise you on the best course of action and help you avoid crucial application mistakes. Get in touch today for more information.

Latest Updates

Our team keep ahead of all the latest immigration developments and post updates regularly. Stay up to date by signing up to our newsletter and get these updates directly to your inbox.


The Green List

From September 2022 people holding job offers in a small number of occupations may apply for residence. Some occupations are a direct pathway to residence and others require a period of two years or longer before applying.

There are qualification and/or occupational registration requirements to meet. Establishing if an overseas qualification matches the NZ equivalent qualification before applying is paramount for success.

Read more here.

16 May 22

Work Visa Categories Closing

The work visa categories set to close are:

  • Essential Skills Work Visa
  • Essential Skills Work Visa – approval in principle
  • Work to Residence (Talent – Accredited Employer)
  • Work to Residence (Long Term Skills Shortage)
  • Silver Fern Job Search Work Visa (closed October 2019)
  • Silver Fern Practical Experience Work Visa.
10 Feb 22

Policy Decision Key Dates in 2022

  • February 13. Fully vaccinated Kiwis plus certain other travellers entering NZ from the rest of the world* can skip MIQ.
  • April 30. The border starts a phased reopen to fully vaccinated foreign nationals.
  • April 30. The Productivity Commission reports back to the government on immigration settings.
  • May 9. Applications open for mandatory Employer Accreditation.

*Excludes high-risk countries.

16 Dec 21