Malcolm Pacific Logo

Student Visa Information.

Here we share some general information about Student Visa policy. This does not replace or constitute immigration advice from a licensed immigration adviser.

Click here to get started with a free consultation today

Student Visa Information.

Students Visas may have strict conditions that are set out on the visa document itself. Typically the conditions restrict the student to a particular course of study at an institution and can sometimes include work rights for part-time employment. These conditions must be complied with. If you want any changes, take advice.

International Students.

Fee-paying International Students are welcome in New Zealand. There are well-developed programmes and services designed to ensure the best possible experience for students of all ages. The New Zealand government is focused on international students enrolling in high-quality tertiary education.

The applicant must:

  • Hold a formal offer of a place from a State Institution or “Private Training Establishment” (PTE) (See special note, below.)

  • Pay full international fees.

  • Have sufficient funds for support, or be sponsored.

  • Hold comprehensive Health Insurance.

  • Satisfy Immigration New Zealand (INZ) that they are a genuine student (not using a student visa application for some other purpose).

  • Be of good health and character.

Special note #1:

There are two categories of an educational facility that qualify, including any institution with a level 1, 2 or 3 grading from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority, and only institutions that have signed the "Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students" can offer places to international students.

Special note #2:

Some international students can obtain the right to work up to 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacation. This is a great way to gain local work experience, practice English and earn some pocket money, but not every course qualifies you for work rights. Take expert advice to make sure whether this concession applies to you.

Useful Information

The Malcolm Pacific Immigration team of advisers and experts take away the stress and worry of navigating the complex world of New Zealand Student visas, policies, and immigration.

School Children.

Children from overseas may be educated in New Zealand from Primary, through Intermediate to Secondary levels, in either State-owned or Privately owned schools, subject to payment of fees and certain conditions that are in place to protect students and ensure a satisfactory education experience.

Schools that wish to offer places to overseas students must be approved to ensure quality pastoral care arrangements are in place to care for all of the child’s needs, both scholastic and residential.

Guardian Visa.

A parent or legal guardian can apply for a visa to accompany their children aged 17 years or younger to New Zealand and, in limited circumstances, may even gain permission to work or study while the child is at school.

English Language Schools.

New Zealand is considered an excellent place to learn English and there are many institutions that offer courses. Including places where teaching English is combined with other courses and activities; there are over 600 choices! These range from facilities for younger people who want to combine a wonderful overseas experience with an improvement to their English, through to University-based courses designed to help serious students master English at a graduate level. Make sure your choice matches your objectives.

Tertiary Studies.

New Zealand has many options for serious tertiary study. In recent years Immigration New Zealand (INZ) and the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) have moved to ensure a quality experience for all students.

Domestic Students.

School-age children of persons in New Zealand on work visas can attend Primary, Intermediate or Secondary school as “Domestic Students”. They need to apply for a Student Visa but do not need to pay International Student Fees. This concession does NOT apply to Tertiary studies. At tertiary level, full international student fees will normally apply. Something to think carefully about when you are planning a move to New Zealand that includes older children.

The same courtesy also applies to certain persons in New Zealand as members of Diplomatic missions, or persons on Armed Service transfers and may also apply to certain post-graduate students.

Get started with a FREE consultation today

We are New Zealand’s largest and most experienced team of licensed immigration advisers. Our experts will take away the stress and worry of navigating the complicated world of immigration. All you need to do is get in touch. Our team is on standby, ready to help.

Latest News

Our team keep ahead of all the latest immigration developments and post updates regularly. Stay up to date by signing up to our newsletter and get these updates directly to your inbox.


The Green List

From September 2022 people holding job offers in a small number of occupations may apply for residence. Some occupations are a direct pathway to residence and others require a period of two years or longer before applying.

There are qualification and/or occupational registration requirements to meet. Establishing if an overseas qualification matches the NZ equivalent qualification before applying is paramount for success.

Read more here.

16 May 22

Work Visa Categories Closing

The work visa categories set to close are:

  • Essential Skills Work Visa
  • Essential Skills Work Visa – approval in principle
  • Work to Residence (Talent – Accredited Employer)
  • Work to Residence (Long Term Skills Shortage)
  • Silver Fern Job Search Work Visa (closed October 2019)
  • Silver Fern Practical Experience Work Visa.
10 Feb 22

Policy Decision Key Dates in 2022

  • February 13. Fully vaccinated Kiwis plus certain other travellers entering NZ from the rest of the world* can skip MIQ.
  • April 30. The border starts a phased reopen to fully vaccinated foreign nationals.
  • April 30. The Productivity Commission reports back to the government on immigration settings.
  • May 9. Applications open for mandatory Employer Accreditation.

*Excludes high-risk countries.

16 Dec 21

Get the latest updates straight to your inbox. Sign-up